Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Facebook, Twitter and the Church

I have just been caused to consider the appropriateness of the social media in day-to-day church life. In other words, whether it is right or proper for a parish or other church community to have for itself a Twitter account or a Facebook group. My thoughts were as follow (saves me re-typing, for among my many qualities, bone idleness rates highly):


Twitter
In a Midlands diocese, it is now regarded as good practice for curates to Tweet. This and all other things like this speak of marketing, whatever that thing is that you are marketing. Spreading the Good News, perhaps! My own experience is that those who Tweet are only vulnerable from themselves and their own poorly built personal boundaries. I hold an account for my church which I confess I neglect through lack of time, but as fast instant marketing of events and services, nothing rivals it if you use hash tags effectively. With my personal account I have entered into helpful and reciprocal ‘relationships’ with locals, civic community etc. and I know for a fact that one person came to Midnight Mass as a result. ‘Twurch of England’ will then add you to their lists and the scope for spreading the word is limitless, as Christian tweeters often hook up to it fairly quickly. Bp. Alan Wilson  advocates it, and we have used it to good effect between us in the past. See a former post for an example of the good that Twitter can do, in the middle of the many perils! It is a common sense thing, in essence!
Facebook
If it is alright for the Queen ...
Again, the same as above. There is little risk with this, and perhaps less even than typical parish websites as Facebook accounts are administered member-only access Groups. I believe a Facebook account exceeds a parish website for various reasons, partly because of the ability to more freely use imagery as it is restricted access, but also because access and privacy settings can be controlled. Another good marketing tool, especially if anyone in the community blogs – Twitter and Facebook bring more readers to my blog than any other source.
In general, what you are facing are the preconceived ideas of those who are fearful. I face them too, but they are issues I manage to work around easily enough. Most of our older generation do not understand the way that websites work, let alone 140 character exchanges! ... 
The age that we are in demands a higher level of communication if churches are to remain present in the flow of life as lived out electronically by the world at large. I have never had a bad experience Tweeting, blogging or anything else [as it relates to my church life] (though I have yet to enter into a Facebook group – we have a website that takes enough time at the moment)....

These are hastily drawn together thoughts, but address an issue that is perhaps gaining momentum in the present age. I'd value some comments, partly for the person who made the enquiry in the first place, but also for the edification of others perhaps later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment