Monday, November 8, 2010

Bishops Leaving


This link provides the statement this morning by the Archbishop of Canterbury concerning the resignation of Bps Burnham and Newton. 

Today is, by virtue of this, a sad day. It is not a sad day because I agree with them or their position because I do not. It is not a sad day because I think that they have done the right thing because I don't think that they have. The Church of England is a family. Like any family, it has disagreements and fractures, it has good times and it has bad. However, for my part, I am sad that anyone would leave that family because of one such fracture. As a father and a member of a family of my own, not a single thing will ever stop me being part of it, or as parent to my children, and I have prayed that these gentlemen may have felt the same in time about their church-family.

There will be much mirth, I suspect. There will be much parodying, finger-pointing and silliness I imagine. For my part, I want simply to reflect that this is a sad and dark day for the Church of England, whatever our views, whenever people feel that we are not a family worth staying in.

No comments:

Post a Comment