Wednesday, December 22, 2010

When is a Font the Wrong Font

You know how it is. You talk about something once, and then it is all you hear about for weeks after. Well, during the course of the week, on a day when I made my escape from snow central, I found myself talking about none less that correct uses of fonts. As you do. 

No sooner has the breath dissipated upon which the word was carried did the subject arise again and again.

Now, I have so far led you down the proverbial garden path, leaving you to wonder what church masonary choices are available to me these days. But I tell you this: no. Not them fonts, these fonts - what like these words are writ in. 

I was working through a pack that prospective Headteachers would recieve when applying for the job (if you are a primary head and about the best in the world, you may apply) - and it struck me that over-use of Times New Roman seemed heavy-handed. It is not only the default for most wordprocessing packages (except Word 2007 when it is the rather crisp Calibri) and therefore a marker of lack of imagination, but becuase of that fact, grossly overused. It has caused me to ponder the use of fonts - as even the choice of font I use here is deliberate. I use Georgia from the limited stock that Blogger offers. Others include Arial (boring), Courier (Sinclair ZX Spectrum), Helvetica (let me nag you in words), Times (see above), Trebuchet (for shopping lists) and Verdana (church literature ad nausiam - but great for lysdexics).

A much-loved colleague of mine has a default setting, and it means that all his documents are set to Comic Sans, a font I personally loathe. Then a wonderful thing happened, I discovered a website that articulates my view perfectly: press here for the link.  You just know that it speaks the truth. 

The choice and use of fonts is, as the site itself will attest, important. The message and the font must be in accord or it will lose its way in its presentation. In other aspects of my life, I type sermons and essays in Palatino Linotype (delusions of grandeur) having moved away from Papyrus (cool until everyone else started using it). They are deliberate choices, but I wonder if I am alone. 


Do you use specific fonts, and if so, why? I'd be interested to hear [read].

No comments:

Post a Comment